Monday, January 23, 2012

christ, always and forever

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger
.
--a portion from "St. Patrick's Breastplate," which may be found here

I was first turned onto St. Patrick's Breastplate by Madeleine L'Engle's use of it in A Switftly Tilting Planet; later, she mentioned it in one of her devotional books, and I looked it up for myself. As long as I've known it, I've loved the stanza quoted above. How can I see Christ in everything and everyone surrounding me? How can I find Christ in each person I meet, both friend and stranger? 

Pax
.....

No comments:

Post a Comment