Thursday, May 17, 2012

ricky ticky tavi

Unfortunately, this post has nothing to the inestimable mongoose referenced in the title. It does, however, have to do with a serendipitous occurrence involving the gorgeous Ricky Martin.

My lovely older sister and I had been lucky enough to score some cheap tickets to Once for tonight, our last night in the big city. After going (it was marvelous), we were browsing in one of the souvenir stores down the street when we realized a crowd had gathered outside. Moving outside to see what the fuss was about, we learned that Ricky Martin (currently starring in Evita) was about to leave the building, hence the congregation of gay men and older women.

Well.

I may not have a picture of him on the wall, but it was my first chance at a real celebrity sighting, and I'll be damned if I wasn't going to take it.

I wriggled my way through the crowd as only a skinny girl can, and thus was only a couple people back from the front when he made his entrance. The crowd's response was truly impressive--perfectly reasonable girls screaming "Ricky! He HAS to come over here! I'll just DIE!" at the top of their lungs. Of course, I was practically spooning some poor gay boy in an attempt to see the guy at this point, so I suppose I don't hold the moral high ground. Anyways, he was kind enough to stop and sign some playbills, and when he looked in my direction...

Wow.

I suddenly understood the screams, the thunder and fury of it all, even if only for a moment. For that moment, I would have been willing to swear on my mother's grave that he'd been smiling at ME. (And, of course, ignoring the twink in front of me. Because that's what gay men do, in the mythical land of my imagination.)

Ricky Martin is an devastatingly good-looking man.

I know, I know, you have to be cute to get into the business, and of course I'd seen lovely pictures of him before, but everyone knows those are photoshopped, and who hasn't been disappointed by the difference between the celebrity behind the lens and in real life*? I'd expected to be disappointed, to walk away thinking "well, that was nice, but he's a bit past his prime."

Well. Well well well.
I walk away with renewed hope for the male half of the human race. Even if I don't end up with a guy half that good-looking, it's nice to be reminded what that feels like.
.....

Pax
.....

*YouTube totally counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment